Southern Voices on Adaptation are proud to share in the run-up to COP23 our new leaflet Milestones towards pro-poor Adaptation – Civil Society Achievements in promoting effective and equitable adaptation to climate change.
Here we present considerable progress by our nine partner networks in influencing adaptation policies and practices at national and local levels – using the Joint Principles for Adaptation as a tool for advocacy and dialogue.
From 2016 the SVA partner networks all prepared “influencing strategies” defining key objectives for policy change and action plans with milestones on how to achieve their policy influence. These are some of the results outlined in the leaflet:
- Civil society is engaging with government to improve adaptation policies and plans
- Adaptation policies such as National Adaptation Plans, are more inclusive and reach neglected sectors of the population
- Sub-national level planning for adaptation is improving
- Local people are becoming more aware about climate change adaptation
- The JPA tool has been appreciated and used by other organisations and partners
At COP23 in Bonn, we are sharing our lessons and discussing the way forward for civil society adaptation advocacy in a workshop Sunday 12th November from 11:00 – 15:00, titled: Learning from Southern Voices - Promoting pro-poor adaptation policies at Gustav Stresemann Institute in Bonn - Bad Godesberg.